Born in Texas, USA where he lived most of his childhood, he then moved to Egypt, for a while, before landing in Cape Town, South Africa in 2007. It was in his college years when he began to write original material for his stand-up comedy routine. He began performing in front of friends at “Comedy Braais” and towards the end of his studies in 2011, Joe performed stand-up in front of a live audience whom he did not know. Joe hasn’t stopped since. He graduated top of his class in performing arts, with a BTECH Diploma in the one hand and sheer passion and determination in the other, Joe pursued a career in Stand-up comedy.
He performs on a regular basis in many venues in and around Cape Town. He was even organizing his own gigs and giving aspiring comedians a chance to have their 5 min of fame. This developed into the brand: #ThatsFunny.
In 2014 Joe was part of the Newcomer category in the Savanna Comics Choice awards, where he performed at the Soweto Theater.
In 2016 Joe became the resident MC and commentator for Dodgeball SA.
In 2017 He was a semi-finalist in the #ShowUsYourApples Stand-up Comedy Competition at Cape Town Comedy Club.
In late 2016 Joe debuted his one-man show: “Joe Ma Se BBQ” which is a journey about Joe’s experiences in South Africa from a foreigner’s perspective. He makes fun of himself experiencing the South African culture and thus attaching a new spin on every day norms for regular South Africans. Dirty Punk City Blog said:
“It’s a must-see for all South Africans; you will relate and laugh at everyday things that you wouldn’t normally consider as funny…”,
“He’s like an old friend telling stories over a few beers in a bar – no pressure.”
More here: http://dirtypinkcity.com/cape-town-comdey/
Joe’s comedy can be described as:
“Joe is a storyteller comedian, energetic and lively on the stage. His comedy is fresh and original…” – Cape Town Comedy club
He has taken his one man show to many venues across Cape Town as well as doing a run at the Cape Town Fringe Festival in 2017.
Joe has become one of Cape Towns most sought after comedians, his career has even taken him international to Windhoek, Namibia where he performed and MC’d at the music festival: Rock n’ Run 2017.
Joe can currently be seen on the local comedy circuit and does not shy away from any event. He is just a phone call or email away, get in contact and lets start sharing the laughter.
Joe's recent Career highlights:
- Performing at Cape Town Comedy Club (2016)- 1 of the top 10 Comedy clubs in the world!
- MC/ Host at Rock n Run Festival Windhoek, Namibia 2017
- Semi- Finalist in the 2017 #ShowUsYourApples Stand-up Comedy Competition held at the Cape Town Comedy Club
- Muizenberg Comedy Fest 2017 – Support Act in the Comedy Showcase
- BNI Galla Event- Comedy Performance 2017
- MC for Glass Walker Challenge at the V&A Waterfront Cape Town 2017 (Guinness World Record event)
- Support act for Bounce Comedy Club 2017
Joe Ma Se BBQ- One-man show
- Debuted October 2016 Collective Arts Theatre - Joe Ma Se BBQ
- July 2017 Highlander sports bar - Joe Ma Se BBQ
- September 2017 Aandklas - Joe Ma Se BBQ
- September 23rd, 29th and 30th- Cape Town Fringe Festival 2017
Full Resumé given on request